Are you looking for a strong, empowering sport where you can achieve extraordinary things? Roller derby is the fastest growing sport in the country. Be a part of this amazing sport that combines athleticism, teamwork, and the thrill of high level competition. Join Tampa Roller Derby and discover what it really means to be FAST SMART FEARLESS!
Tampa Roller Derby holds recruitment for interested skaters twice a year. Please see our event here for more information.
Recruitment Events for 2016:
- January 25, 2017 - Quad Killers Meet and Greet - Meet and converse with veteran league members to learn about the league and what it takes to play with Tampa Roller Derby.
- February 4, 2017 - Quad Killers Boot Camp - Brush up on your skills with this boot camp focused on YOU. We will go over the minimum skills you will need for the upcoming training program. We can provide loner skates and gear, but you MUST have your own mouthguard to participate. The cost for this bootcamp is $15.00.
- February 18, 2017 - Training Kickoff! Begin our roller derby training program, Quad Killers.
We will also be holding informal recruitment meet and greets at various spots around town in the next few months. Stay tuned here for dates and times!
You will be evaluated on the following skills prior to beginning your training with TRD:
- Skating Posture - Bends at knees and hips with shoulders back, and skates low with bent, flexible knees
- Stride - Steady, fluent strides and pushes with both feet
- Crossovers on Turns - Crosses right over left while pushing smoothly with both feet
- Reverse Crossovers - Crosses left over right to move from from the inside of the track to the outside
- One-foot Glides - Can maintain balance for the straightaway and turn while skating with one foot lifted completely off the floor
- Sticky Wheels - Propels self while keeping all eight wheels on the floor
- Cutting - Moves fluidly from one side of the track to the other
- Stopping - Can some to a full stop from a brisk pace by using either a t-stop or a plow stop
- Speed - Can complete at least 20 laps around the derby track in 5 minutes
Loaner equipment is available (pads, helmets, and skates) but you MUST have your own mouthguard to participate. The more you practice now, the better prepared you'll be for training. Get out and start skating now. Go to open skates, skate outdoors, skate as much as possible to get used to having eight wheels under you. If you need help, there are skating classes available at many of the skating rinks in the Tampa area. Look on Youtube for example videos of specific skills. Prepare yourself early and get in shape. Roller derby is an actual sport and requires a certain level of fitness. There are gals of all shapes and sizes in this sport and in our league, but you must be able to skate.
In addition to skaters, we are always looking for referees and NSOs (non-skating officials). We train these year round, so please contact our Head of Officials at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time if you are interested. Our officials are our heroes!
If you have any questions or would like further information please contact our Recruitment Chair at email@example.com.
Please see our recruitment page on Facebook here for up to date information!